We've got the list for you: the strongest defenders of your Wordpress website. The 5 best Wordpress Security Plugins.
Wordfence conducts a thorough inspection of your website. It conducts malware detection on your Worpress files, themes and plugins. It also does a perusal of your posts and comments to see if there are hostile files that can compromise your security. If a threat is discovered, you are notified of it immediately. Wordfence also offers a special authentication via SMS.
- Wordfence is pretty good at detecting at backdoors and infected codes present on your site. While the scan is pretty good, you won’t always be able to catch each malicious piece of code that might have found its way into your site.
- Wordfence is known to put a heavy load on your servers. And this could lead to bad site performance. It might also over crowd your database.
6 Scan security is a popular option that offers auto-fix protection for your Wordpress website. It protects your website well against SQL injection, scripting, cross sites. It also conducts a pretty great scan of your all your website files. The auto-fix facility can detect infected code and fix it easily. If any vulnerabilities are detected you’ll be notified of it by email.
- One of the pain points of using 6Scan is that it’s pricey. You can however test it out to see if it’s what you want before you buy it. 6Scan also serves as an antivirus and malware defender so you won’t have to spend on additional security systems if you decide to invest in this.
Bulletproof security is another great plugin you should consider. It provides a rule based firewall, and ensures that your database, login and other sensitive information is secure. A lot of users recommend using Bullet proof in conjunction with Wordfence for added security. The plugin is easy to set up and needs to be configured manually.
- Bulletproof detects the attempted entry of bad bots and runs a check on all your files, database and logins. The good thing is it doesn’t overload your server and complicate your site performance.
- You can also create backups of your database. You can schedule how frequently you want backups to take place. However Bullet proof does not block logins even after several attempts.
Acunetix is known for securing web applications. It offers protection of admin information, version hiding and file security. This plugin also provides a feature for you to back up your files before each scan. You can opt for a free or paid plan for this website defender. The paid plan has a some pretty useful features which is why you should opt for it.
- All your webpages including the URL’s incorporated into your site are scanned to see if they’ve been blacklisted anywhere. You can restore your entire website form back up including plugins, themes, and database.
- If any malware or corrupted files are detected the Defender also gives you steps to follow so you can eliminate them.
Sucuri seems a popular security option recently. It allows the user to audit security activity, and monitors the integrity onf your website’s content, mainly files. It also provides a firewall and comes integrated with blacklist engines like Google Safe Browsing, Sucuri Labs and Mcafee site advisor. It detects brute force attacks on your site and keeps a track of the attacks in its cloud which can be later accessed by you.
- From what we’ve heard from some of the users, Sucuri’s firewall may be able to block against some vulnerabilities and you may have to endure some warnings on the firewall side.
- If you use the free version of Sucuri you won’t be able to track hacking activity through the backdoor. Say you have an affiliate program on your website. Hackers can hack via a backdoor to your site and switch affiliate links to skim off your revenue scheme. These are some drawbacks you’ll have to take into consideration.
There you have it. The best Wordpress Security Plugins currently available. Do you agree with our list? Let us know if you know of other security plugins that are just as good.