Coupon codes are akin to online purchase. If you are thinking of creating a few coupons for your WooCommerce online store, you have good news! WooCommerce lets you create your coupons in a process as smooth as silk. And, you can have a functional discount coupon on your site in no more than 5 minutes.
With WooCommerce, you can create different types of coupons:
Before getting to the details of specific types, let us dive in and have a look at the features. So, here’s the big question…
How to create coupons in WooCommerce?
Step 1 - Add Coupon
To create a coupon, launch the WordPress dashboard, select the WooCommerce tab, choose the sub-tab Coupons and select Add Coupon button at the top.
Enter the coupon code, say GRAB100 or something of that sort. You can add an optional description of what the code does.
Now enter the coupon data in 3 simple steps:
Step 2 - General Section
The general section has 4 fields:
Discount type - The type of discount you want to offer for the code. You can choose from the three types - Percentage discount, Fixed cart discount and Fixed product discount.
- Coupon amount - Enter the amount that is being offered. $20 in case of the Pendrive example.
- Allow free shipping - Check this box if the coupon also offers free shipping. You can create a coupon separately for free shipping, too. Check out in the last section of the article.
Coupon expiry date - Pick the date when the coupon expires.
Step 3 - Usage Restriction Section
The usage restriction section has 9 fields that help you apply the coupon to all or certain products and categories, and also define exceptions. The fields are:
- Minimum spend: Minimum amount to be spent for the coupon to apply.
- Maximum spend: Maximum amount to be spent for the coupon to apply.
- Individual use only: Check if other coupons cannot coexist with this coupon.
- Exclude sale items: Check if the coupon does not apply on items on sale.
- Products: Select the products on which the coupon applies.
- Exclude products: Select the products on which the coupon does not apply.
- Product categories: Select the categories on which the coupon applies.
- Exclude categories: Select the categories on which the coupon does not apply.
- Email restrictions: List of emails that have access to the coupon - separated by comma.
Step 4 - Usage Limits Section
The Usage Limit section lets you limit number of times a person can use the coupon and the limit on number of products.
How to apply coupons for percentage discount in WooCommerce
Percentage discount is for providing a discount in percentage on certain products / categories / cart subtotal. For example, your coupon can be “Use OFF30 for a 30% discount on your purchase”. For this coupon, select the Percentage discount option as coupon type, amount as you would like to offer (30%), and expiry date. Free shipping is optional.
How to apply coupons for cart total in WooCommerce
To apply a coupon on your customer’s cart subtotal, just follow the below screenshots. For instance, let your discount be “Use HUNDRED get flat $100 off on purchase above $500”. For this coupon, select discount type as Fixed cart discount, Coupon amount as 100 in General tab and Minimum spend in the Usage Restriction tab as 500.
How to apply coupons for specific products in WooCommerce
Fixed product discount is to apply the coupon on a certain product / category. This type of discount sounds like, “15% off on X product”. The below screenshots are example of a discount of 15% on the product “Shirt”.
How to create coupon for free shipping in WooCommerce?
The “Free Shipping Method” for the zones you wish to ship freely must be enabled in WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping first. Learn how to enable free shipping zones here.
Once you are done with that, the “Free Shipping” through coupons in WooCommerce is just a checkbox away.
You can add free shipping as a separate coupon by just checking the “Allow Free Shipping” checkbox. Select any discount type and keep the coupon amount at 0. Otherwise you can provide free shipping along with any discount coupon.
Can creating coupons be any simpler? Go ahead and create your own coupons for your eCommerce store. Have them up and running as seamlessly as possible with WooCommerce Coupons.
Want to try discounts, too? Check out how WooCommerce Discount Rules can be your ideal discounting plugin.
We would love to hear from you. Tell us how the article has helped you set up coupons on your online store in the comments.