You might have assigned roles to the customers on your WooCommerce online store. For example, Registered Customers, Subscribers, Premium Users, Elite Users, and so on. There can be situations when you want to give discounts only to certain user roles.
Let us consider your intended offer is “Exclusive 30% off on all products - Only for Premium Users”.
The WooCommerce Discount Rules plugin comes quite handy when such a situation arises. Creating discounts based on user roles in your WooCommerce store is made simple with the WooDiscount Rules.
Follow this article to understand how to create user role based discounts on your WooCommerce store and implement it in a jiffy! However, before starting, there is one more area to focus…
Product Level or Cart Level?
You can apply role based discounts on product level or cart level. Let us take two different discount rules:
- Exclusive 40% off on all Electronic products - Only for Subscribed Users
- Exclusive 30% off on purchase above $500 - Only for Subscribed Users
Though both of the above rules apply on a particular user role (Subscribers), they differ on the level as well. The first rule applies on the Electronics category of products regardless of the cart details. The second one applies on the cart subtotal regardless of the products purchased.
WooCommerce Discount Rules handles both the cases.
Creating User Role Based Discounts on Product Level
Step 2 - Enter the general details of your discount.
The general details include Order (Rule priority), Rule name, Rule Description, Method (Depending on quantity or other products) and Validity period (optional but recommended).
Select “Quantity based by product/category and BOGO deals” option for our example.
Step 3 - Enter the discount conditions specific to the rule:
- Apply To - All products / Specific products / Specific categories. Select “Specific Categories” and choose “Electronics” as per the example.
- Customers - All / Only Given. The Only Given option deals with individual customers. So, choose “All”. You get to choose the user role in the next step.
- User roles - Choose “Subscribers” from the dropdown of user roles you have created on your site. Note: Make sure that the user role has been created in prior.
- Purchase history - Check if the discount is based on user’s purchase history. Our example has nothing to do with it so leave it unchecked.
Step 4 - Define the discount values:
- Minimum quantity - Minimum quantity to be purchased to avail the offer.
- Maximum quantity - Maximum quantity to be purchased to avail the offer.
- Adjustment type - Percentage discount
- Value - 40
Save the rule and your product level discount for “Subscribers” is applied on your site.
Creating User Role Based Discounts on Cart Level
Step 1 - Create a new rule in the Cart Discount Rules tab.
The options to choose the user roles are available in the Cart Discount rules only and NOT in Price Discount rules.
Step 2 - Enter the general details of your discount rule.
The general details include Order (Rule priority), Rule name, Rule Description and Validity period (optional but recommended).
Step 3 - Add the cart condition based on which the rule applies to your products.
You need to enter just two fields:
- Type - Select User role in list from the drop down
- Value - Select the user role(s) you want to apply the discount on. In our case, “Subscribers” are treated as the Premium users.
You can select more than one user role in a condition. You can also add more than one condition per discount rule depending upon what you are planning to offer.
Let us say you want to provide a 30% discount only to subscribers on purchase of more than $500. Then you need to add two conditions like shown below:
After setting up the conditions, you can move to the final step.
Step 4 - Enter the discount type and value to get the discount rule up and running on your storefront.
- Discount Type: Choose either Percentage Discount or Price Discount. Our example gives a 30% discount so we choose the former one.
- Value: The discount value - 30% in this case.
Save the rule and you are good to go.
Use our demo site to work yourself and check how it goes.
The WooCommerce Discount Rules plugin is a very simple and robust plugin that handles any kind of discounting usecase you can think of. Be it bulk discounts, BOGO deals or any advanced discount rules, WooDiscount Rules is game.