Do you want to give user role based discounts on your WooCommerce online store, but are not sure how to do it? By user roles, I mean the roles you would have assigned to the customers like Registered Customers, Subscribers, Premium Users, Elite Users, and so on. With WooCommerce Discount Rules plugin, you can offer discounts for everyone in under 5 minutes.
The user role based discounts have a very important part to play in your store. They are directly tied with the shopping experience your online store offers. That is, a premium member has subscribed to enjoy more benefits than the regular users. However, you need to provide offers to the regular users as well to enhance everyone's shopping experience.
So, you need a tool that helps you provide different discounts for different user roles without any clutter and confusion. Sounds complicated? The default WooCommerce coupons can make it a little complicated, but WooCommerce Discount Rules is here to help. In this tutorial, let’s walk through how to create discounts based on user roles on your online store using the best discount plugin for WooCommerce.
Let us consider your intended offer is “Exclusive 30% off on all products - Only for Premium Users”.
However, before starting with the details of he discount rule, there is one more area to focus…
Product Level or Cart Level?
The WooCommerce Discount Rules plugin manages two types of discounts - product level and cart level. You can apply role based discounts on both product level or cart level. Let us take two different discount rules:
- Exclusive 40% off on all Electronic products - Only for Subscribed Users
- Exclusive 30% off on purchase above $500 - Only for Subscribed Users
Though both of the above rules apply on a particular user role (Subscribers), they differ on the level as well. The first rule applies on the Electronics category of products regardless of the cart details. The second one applies on the cart subtotal regardless of the products purchased.
WooCommerce Discount Rules handles both the cases.
Creating User Role Based Discounts on Product Level
Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can create the discount rule "Exclusive 40% off on all Electronic products - Only for Subscribed Users" with Woo Discount Rules.
Step 2 - Enter the general details of your discount.
The general details include Order (Rule priority), Rule name, Rule Description, Method (Depending on quantity or other products) and Validity period (optional but recommended).
Select “Quantity based by product/category and BOGO deals” option for our example.
Step 3 - Enter the discount conditions specific to the rule:
- Apply To - All products / Specific products / Specific categories. Select “Specific Categories” and choose “Electronics” as per the example.
- Customers - All / Only Given. The Only Given option deals with individual customers. So, choose “All”. You get to choose the user role in the next step.
- User roles - Choose “Subscribers” from the dropdown of user roles you have created on your site. Note: Make sure that the user role has been created in prior.
- Purchase history - Check if the discount is based on user’s purchase history. Our example has nothing to do with it so leave it unchecked.
Step 4 - Define the discount values:
- Minimum quantity - Minimum quantity to be purchased to avail the offer.
- Maximum quantity - Maximum quantity to be purchased to avail the offer.
- Adjustment type - Percentage discount
- Value - 40
Save the rule and your product level discount for “Subscribers” is applied on your site.
Creating User Role Based Discounts on Cart Level
Applying the cart level discounts for user roles is also as simple as the previous case. Here is the guide to create a rule like "Exclusive 30% off on purchase above $500 - Only for Subscribed Users".
Step 1 - Create a new rule in the Cart Discount Rules tab.
The options to choose the user roles are available in the Cart Discount rules only and NOT in Price Discount rules.
Step 2 - Enter the general details of your discount rule.
The general details include Order (Rule priority), Rule name, Rule Description and Validity period (optional but recommended).
Step 3 - Add the cart condition based on which the rule applies to your products.
You need to enter just two fields:
- Type - Select User role in list from the drop down
- Value - Select the user role(s) you want to apply the discount on. In our case, “Subscribers” are treated as the Premium users.
You can select more than one user role in a condition. You can also add more than one condition per discount rule depending upon what you are planning to offer.
Let us say you want to provide a 30% discount only to subscribers on purchase of more than $500. Then you need to add two conditions like shown below:
After setting up the conditions, you can move to the final step.
Step 4 - Enter the discount type and value to get the discount rule up and running on your storefront.
- Discount Type: Choose either Percentage Discount or Price Discount. Our example gives a 30% discount so we choose the former one.
- Value: The discount value - 30% in this case.
Save the rule and you are good to go.
Use our demo site to work yourself and check how it goes.
So, whatever type of discount you want to provide for the particular user roles in your WooCommerce online store, Woo Discount Rules will make it easy and neat for you. That’s what makes WooCommerce Discount Rules plugin is a very simple and robust one. It can handle any kind of discounting use case you can think of. Be it bulk discounts, BOGO deals or any advanced discount rules, WooDiscount Rules is game. Now, that you know how good it is, don’t you agree?