At times, as an eCommerce seller, you might want to provide discounts to only a specific customers (No, not the user roles). Some sellers provide exclusive offers to individual customers. If you are in the middle of providing such a discount, you are at the right place.
This article guides you through how to give both product level and cart level discounts to individual customers.
Before you start, please download and install the WooCommerce Discount Rules PRO plugin. The guide assumes that you already have the plugin installed and activated.
How to create product level discounts for specific users?
Product level discounts are applied directly on the price of product(s) or category(s). To get started with the customer specific discount on a product level, follow these steps.
Create a new rule in the Price Discount Rules tab and enter the general details of the rule such as Order(Priority), Rule name, Rule description, Method and Validity period.
Method : Select the Method as Quantity based by product/category and BOGO deals for discounts depending on quantity (Buy x items and get y discount) or Dependent product based discount for discounts depending on other products (Buy A and get discount on B).
Go to the next tab.
Step 2: Define the discount conditions as follows:
- Apply to : Choose All Products / Specific Products / Specific Categories - as required.
- Customers : Select Only Given and then select the required customers from the dropdown. You can also search for the email id in the text box.
- Purchase history : Check the box if the discount applies on a certain purchase history of the selected customers, otherwise leave it unchecked.
Proceed to the next tab once you’re done.
Since we selected the “Method” as Quantity based by product/category and BOGO deals in the general tab, we need to define quantities involved in the discount values such as:
- Minimum Quantity: Minimum purchase quantity
- Maximum Quantity: Maximum purchase quantity
- Adjustment Type: Percentage discount (15%) / Price discount ($500) / Product discount (Freebie)
- Value: The discount value (15 / 500 / Freebie product)
Save the rule after entering all the values. The discount is now applied on the chosen products and is available only to the customers you selected.
How to create cart level discounts for specific users?
Cart level discounts are applied on the cart of the customer and not on the products. Here are the steps to create customer specific discount on a cart level:
Create a new rule in the Cart Discount Rules tab and enter the general details of the rule such as Order(Priority), Rule name, Rule description and Validity period.
Note: There is no “Method” property in cart discount rules.
Let us say the discount you want to give is, “Get $50 off on purchase of $500”, for specific customers alone. Define the discount conditions as follows:
Add 2 new conditions. You can add as many conditions per rule as you want. This example needs two conditions.
- Condition 1 - For customer specification:
- Type: Users in list
- Value: Select the required customers from the dropdown. You can also search for the email id in the text box.
- Condition 2 - For cart discount specification:
- Type: Subtotal at least
- Value: 500
Since the discount we are providing is $50, set the following values in the Discount tab:
Discount Type: Price Discount
The discount has now been applied for the customers you’ve chosen. If they purchase for at least $500, they shall get a reduction of $50 in the total amount payable.
Just like this, WooCommerce Discount Rules lets you create other kinds of discounts with utter easiness. user role based discounts or bulk discounts or BOGO deals or any kind of advanced discounts on your WooCommerce retail store.
Be it product level or cart level discounts, you only have to spare barely five to ten minutes for the entire setup. Pretty awesome, isn’t it?
Let us know how helpful you found this article and our plugin in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!